The main aim of the team is to share a common purpose, and each member is working towards achieving a project objective. A group of a people is developed in a project team through five stage team model i.e. forming, storming, norming, performing and adjourning. This model forms a framework for the team to understand its own development.
Project manager plays a key role to build a high performance project team by the following team building activities. Selecting the project member within the company or recruiting for a particular project and in case of matrix structure, the project manager has to coordinate with functional manager to obtain necessary personnel.
While selecting a project member, project manager looks for the following experience and knowledge for project completion:
• A team member should have problem solving ability so that they can work under uncertainty and should have a skill for problem identification and solving skills.
• A team member should be available for the project activities.
• Project manager should also prefer technological experts who have knowledge for a specific technological needed for a project objectives.
• Selecting a project member who has a good working relationship with key stakeholders.
• After selection project manager has to conduct kick off meeting through which project manager address the scope of the work, introduces the team member and it will set an example regarding the structure of the meeting.
• Project manager will set a ground rules for the team to work together. The ground rule involves organizational and procedural issues like planning decision, monitoring where decisions are followed, managing change decision and relationship decision.
• Project manager establishes unique identity for the team member to become emotionally attached. The common procedures are team meeting co-location of team members, team name and team rituals.
• Project manager has to create a shared vision, it inspires the team member to give their best effort, and it helps motivate the team members.
• Project manager also manages project reward system that inspires team performance and extra efforts. This is done not only to appreciate extra ordinary work but also to signal others about exemplary behavior.
• Conflicts in a project team are inevitable and hence it has to be managed through mediation, arbitration and eliminating conflicts between the team members.
• Sometimes project manager needs to rejuvenate the project team to realign them with the project objectives.
• The most common approach for the team building activity is to gather information regarding team performance which can be discussed in forum or by personal interview as and when needed to elevate the project team.
Hence the complete project is depend upon the performance of the team and if one member is not performing well means whole team and project manager is not performing well. Project manager has to manage his team to make a project successful.